ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ Cleaning Instructions
Clean Walls Daily as block laying proceeds. Do not allow excess mortar lumps or smears to harden on the glazed surfaces. Harsh cleaning methods after walls have been erected may mar the surface of the blocks.
. Wipe ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ face clean with a soft cloth as the blocks are laid each day.
. Wear rubber gloves when using cleaning solutions.
. Test an unexposed portion of adjacent metal fixtures with the cleaning solution. If corrosion or staining occurs, protect the exposed portions.
. Protect adjacent masonry and floor area by saturating with water and flushing away cleaning solution before it dries.
. Two plastic or hard rubber buckets
. Rubber gloves
. Soft fibre masonry brushes (or whitewash brushes)
. Wooden, plastic, or other soft, non-staining scraping device
. Supply of "clean" wipers, such as lint-free cloths or paper towels
. Clean water
. SURE-KLEAN 600® or VANATROL® Masonry Cleaning Compound (dilute one part with ten parts of clean water). Do not use acid.
1) Brush clean water liberally on the surface area to be cleaned. Do only about one square yard at a time. It is important that the glazed wall surface be kept wet at all times. Do not use dirty water.
2) Apply cleaning solution, brushing in a circular motion to remove any unwanted mortar smears. Remove excess lumps of mortar with the soft (wood or plastic) scraping device and re-apply cleaning solution.
3) Allow cleaning solution to remain on the surface for two or three minutes then wash off with liberal amounts of fresh, clean water.
4) Wipe walls down completely dry with clean dry wipers.
5) DO NOT POWER WASH.
If liberal amounts of water cannot be used, an alternate procedure may be employed.
1) Soak a clean wiper in the cleaning solution. Wring it out so it is wet enough to dampen the surface, but dry enough so that the solution will not run down the wall.
2) Allow the solution to remain on the surface for two or three minutes. Remove excess lumps of mortar with the soft scraping device and repeat step 1.
3) Wipe the wall completely dry with clean dry wipers.
The above procedures are suitable for cleaning all normal mortar and cement stains from ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ block walls. When other soils such as grease, paint, or pencil are present, clean with Trenwyth's Graffiti Wizard environmentally friendly cleaner or detergent-type cleansers such as Fantastik, Mr. Clean, Pinesol or equivalent. Use clean wipers.
Extreme caution must be exercised when strong solvents are used to remove paint or other stains from ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ facings. The following solvents can be used: Varsol, Turpentine, and Xylene (Xylol). Please Note: Xylene is a strong flammable solvent and will remove most paints and oil based stains from ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ surfaces.
The following solvents must never be used on ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ surfaces: Paint remover of any kind, Lacquer Thinner, Epoxy Thinner, and Methylene Chloride. Permanent damage to the glazed facing can result from the use of improper cleaners or solvents. If in doubt, test on an inconspicuous area or on an ASTRA-GLAZE-SW®+ block not laid in the wall before proceeding.